Monday, 4 June 2012
Boerewors Stuffed Mushrooms
I don't know if you noticed, but we had a Jubilee celebration this week. And rather sadly, the street party we were scheduled to attend was, in true Great British style, rained off... Rather than be deterred by this sad turn of events, we staged an impromptu BBQ in our living room.
As at least one of Team Soup is a colonial type, we thought that it would be a good idea to celebrate the Jubilee with a bit of meat from South Africa (being as that's where Mrs Soup calls home) so one trip to the rather brilliant Leeds market later, we had procured some boerewors, which a) I can never pronounce properly, and b) is rather tasty.
4 Large Open Mushrooms
250g Boerewors (or any other sausage that you can find...)
1 Large Onion
1 Slice of Brown Bread
1. Heat the oven to 180ºc
2. Place the Mushrooms in large over proof dish or baking tray.
3. In each one, pour 1/2 tbsp of olive oil, a splash of white wine and a knob of butter, then spinkle each with fresh thyme leave
4. Put the mushrooms in the oven and cook for 20 minutes
5. Heat some oil in a frying pan. Gently fry the onion, finely chopped for 3-5 minutes, until it starts to colour
6. Remove the sausage meat from its skin and then add this to the frying pan, breaking up the meat as it gently cooks.
7. Put the onions and sausage meat in a mixing bowl. In a food processor, turn the bread into breadcrumbs
8. Chop the rosemary. Add this and the breadcrumbs to the onions and sausage meat. Mix thoroughly with a fork, and season to taste.
9. Spoon this mixture into the mushrooms, and top with grated cheese.