Tuesday 19 February 2013

Lohikeitto - Finnish Salmon and Potato Soup


 Today's recipe is another one suggested by someone who sent me a postcard via Postcrossing.  I'm beginning to think this was the best soup related idea I ever had, as it saves me the hassle of trying to think of a new recipe every week - instead I just let someone else do all the hard work, and all I have to do is come up with a recipe, cook it and then eat it!

Some friends of mine spent a week in Finland on holiday, and when they returned they did so with tales of culinary horror. "The food's alright" they said, "But they put bloody dill on everything"  To me this sounds like heaven, as I love the taste of dill, especially with fish, which is another reason why this recipe appealed to me.  It's just so simple and can be whipped up in next to no time.  I guess if you were on a diet you could substitute some low fat milk for the cream and maybe thicken the soup with a little cornflour instead, or just mash the potatoes to break them up, which thickens the soup up a treat.

Ingredients
1 Leek
300g Potatoes
400g Salmon Fillet
1l Water
150ml Single Cream
1 Bay Leaf
Fresh Dill
1 Lemon
 
 Method
1.  Thinly slice the leek, removing the dark green bits, and cook in some olive oil until soft

2.  Add the water and bay leaf then bring to the boil.  Add the cubed potatoes, cover and simmer for 20 minutes, until the potatoes are soft and starting to break up slightly

3.  Add the skinned, de-boned salmon, cut into cubes and cook for a further 5 minutes.

4.  Stir in the single cream and some freshly cut dill and heat through but don't allow the soup to boil.  Taste and adjust seasoning and then serve, ganished with some more dill and a slice of lemon.

No comments:

Post a Comment