Monday 18 June 2012

Mushroom Stroganoff


It seems to have been a weekend of rich foods and many meats, with Cheese club on Thursday, where I consumed my own body weight in cheeses (I ate 14 different kinds...) then exciting meats over the next few days (including Goat, which is a first for me, and some amazing pork pies - one with black pudding (hurrah) in it - from Leeds Market) so I thought that I would do something more or less vegetarian tonight by way of giving my body a bit of a rest.

Whilst in Leeds market at the weekend, we got a huge bag of mushrooms (but no canned hominy - if anyone knows where I can get some, feel free to let me know, although the recipe I needed it for will be coming tomorrow, so be quick!) so I decided to have a go at mushroom stroganoff.

I love this stuff - although a confirmed meat eater I can't get enough of mushroom dishes, they can often taste as meaty as actual meat dishes, and this dish is so quick and easy to put together, why don't you give it a try!

Ingredients
400g Mushrooms
2 Onions
3 Cloves Garlic
100ml White Wine
150ml Chicken Stock
75ml Sour Cream
2tsp Paprika
1tsp Worcestershire Sauce
Chopped Parsley 



Method
1. Heat some oil in a large pan.  Slice the onions and fry them for about 5 minutes, until they start to turn a nice golden brown colour.

2.  Add the chopped garlic and paprika and cook for another minute

3.  Add the chopped mushrooms, turn up the heat and cook for 5 minutes, trying to keep the lid on the pan as much as possible, until the mushrooms start to soften

4.  Add the stock, wine, salt and pepper and bring to the boil, then simmer for 10 minutes, until the liquid has reduced a bit.

5.  Remove from the heat and stir in the sour cream, garnish with parsley and serve with rice, potatoes or chips! Enjoy

3 comments:

  1. Nice mushrooms - very similar to the sauce ingredients for a Steak Diane. I posted about that just now! Have a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post made me so hungry! Great recipe, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love mushroom stroganoff, and yours looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete